Immunity • Digestion • Remedies
WHAT IS FIRE CIDER
Fire Cider is a traditional herbal medicine / remedy used for:
- aiding digestion
- warding off colds and sore throats
- keeping the immune system strong.
I like to make this once a month all year round, but we always make extra as Winter draws near. As the recipe requires a month to complete, it is good to get in the habit of preparing a batch each month and using in the following month, in a continual pattern.
There are countless recipes online, so have a search and experiment. The general idea is to make the recipe according to:
- what produce you have available
- what is in season
- what you like
- or what you are growing in your own garden
- Prepare and chop all the produce, herbs, vegetables and roots.
- Place everything in a large jar.
- Fill the jar completely with apple cider vinegar.
- Use a plastic lid to seal.
- If your lid is metal (as mine was) place a layer of parchment baking paper and elastic band (as shown in the pic) to stop the acid from touching the metal.
- Label your jar with the date.
- Store the jar in a cool, dark place for at least one month (up to a few months if you want).
- Shake the jar daily.
- After a month, strain the contents of the jar (squeezing all the liquid out of the produce), and pour the liquid into a clean jar.
- It is common to add honey or other sweetener at this stage if you'd like your fire cider a bit sweeter and easier to drink.
Alternatively, some people like to bury their Fire Cider in the ground and dig it up at the changing of the season.
In my jar, I have used (going from the bottom of the jar):
- White onion
- Red chili (red peppers)
- Purple onion
- Ginger root
- Turmeric root
- To maintain a healthy immune system: drink one tablespoon per day.
- If you are around someone who is sick, or feel yourself getting sick: drink 2 tablespoons.
WANT TO KNOW MORE?
WANT TO GO SHOPPING?
Here are some links for some of the ingredients and equipment involved in making this spell.